Monday, February 20, 2012

Shut Out by Kody Keplinger


Release Date: September 5th 2011
Publisher: Poppy
Age Group: Young Adult
Pages: 273 pages
Source: Borrowed
Series: None

Most high school sports teams have rivalries with other schools. At Hamilton High, it's a civil war: the football team versus the soccer team. And for her part,Lissa is sick of it. Her quarterback boyfriend, Randy, is always ditching her to go pick a fight with the soccer team or to prank their locker room. And on three separate occasions Randy's car has been egged while he and Lissa were inside, making out. She is done competing with a bunch of sweaty boys for her own boyfriend's attention 

Then Lissa decides to end the rivalry once and for all: She and the other players' girlfriends go on a hookup strike. The boys won't get any action from them until the football and soccer teams make peace. What they don't count on is a new sort of rivalry: an impossible girls-against-boys showdown that hinges on who will cave to their libidos first. But what Lissa never sees coming is her own sexual tension with the leader of the boys, Cash Sterling...

I am a huge fan of kody ever since I read The DUFF. She brought a refreshing story to the market and so her next book ' Shut Out' mission was to deliver my expectations.

And it did, people.

The female main character once again was audacious and very original. She had the voice of an actual teen. Kody made her easy to relate to her and picture her easily. I liked how we get to see different layers from Lissa's character. For example, she acts in a certain way and we know why. We are given the reasons.

Now about the concept of the book, it may seem like ordinary at first. But WRONG. TOTALLY WRONG. It tackled a problem that many teens face, especially girls. And Kody discuss it duly. I respect that and love it.

Also, I have feeling Kody's books are going to be my tradition to read them in the fall. Just because I read Shut Out the same time I read The Duff (around November) and so I guess I will be reading all her books from now on in the fall. Just because ( I guess) I am usually in the mood of reading cute, yet layered books around exam times.

Anyways, I AM A BIG FAN OF KODY AND HER WORK!

P.S. I checked goodreads and it turns out that I read this book in one day.  So yeah! 

1 comment:

Katie (The Literary Files) said...

YAY!!! I'm SO happy you loved this one! I totally agree that Lissa had such a realistic teen voice and that all her emotions were thoroughly explained. I thought it was going to be ordinary at first too, ahh I loved it! Thanks for the awesome review! :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails